Music and Drama are designed to provide students with an understanding of theory, history, exposure to genres, as well as opportunities to perform.performing arts in elementary and middle school
While drama is taught by a specialist in grades 3 -8, dramatic activities are planned on an ongoing basis by the Chinese, English, French, and German teachers at all grade levels to enable their students to develop their vocabulary, oral fluency, pronunciation, memory, and knowledge of certain historical periods or cultures, and to build self- confidence. Dance and physical expression may also be integrated into the classroom curriculum. In elementary school, students participate in Readers’ Theatre and perform short plays and skits for their classmates and students in other grade levels. Some classes elect to organize a performance for parents. Music is taught by a specialist, beginning in 1st grade.
In addition, students in grades 4 and up have the opportunity to participate in the all-school band program. The band program offers beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels. Band students are expected to perform at school events and other occasions.The primary goals of the performing arts curriculum are to:
performing arts in high school
- instill enjoyment of and appreciation for music and drama
- promote awareness of and appreciation for the similarities and differences of the school’s multicultural student body through ethnic music, dance, and theatre
- develop an understanding of music theory and history of music
- practice singing and learn basic instruments
- develop understanding and use of voice, movement, pantomime, story dramatization, role play, and improvisation
High school students have the opportunity to attend the after school drama club if available, which offers all interested students a chance to be part of a larger production. Plays often incorporate more than one language, highlighting the multilingual skills of Alto students.
High school students who play an instrument are encouraged to participate in the all-school band program. Band students are expected to perform at school events and other occasions.